Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Lex 3-1 of 2

10 Things I Didn’t Know About SpyWare, Adware. Malware, Phishing, viruses and Trojan
Horses.

SpyWare is a type of computer program that secretly collects information & can transmit
it without my knowledge.

SpyWare can also use secretly collected info from my computer to display ads or take
other action in my browser or popup windows.

Adware is a form of computer program that displays commercial advertising in part of an application window in my computer. Because it is a program running on my computer it
has the ability to collect information about my use of the software.

Malware is the generic term for software born of ill intent. Besides invading my privacy, it can also take over my computer.

Phishing is a scam disguised as an email from a legitimate business offering you a job or
a financial jackpot. It is, a lure to get you to click onto a web site and divulge your
personal information.

A current example of phishing would be the emails, supposedly from Google, offering
high paying online jobs that require no experience.

A virus is a malicious or unwanted code that installs itself into my computer without
my knowledge.

While it is not possible for my computer to catch a virus from an email, an attachment to
an email can give a virus if it is opened.

Before opening any email attachment make sure it is from someone you trust and that the
person actually sent the email with an attachment.

A Trojan Horse is a malicious application that masquerades as a desired object that you
download knowingly to your computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment